Preserved Lemons | الحامض مرقد | Moroccan Recipe
Recipe in Arabic: الحامض مرقد
This recipe for pickled lemons is a delicious way to add zesty, lemony and sour flavor to many dishes, such as salads or even savory meat or bean dishes. If you need recipe for what to do with lemons, this easy recipe is perfect to spice up Mediterranean dishes while using up excess lemons. If you want to make a lot, these can be canned or you can make just one jar for immediate use.
- 6 lemons
- 1-2 cups Course salt
- 1 cup Lemon juice
- Very clean empty jar with lid
- Thoroughly wash lemons
- Use a sharp knife to cut a slit into the lemon lengthwise, but don’t cut all the way to the pointy ends. Be sure to slice all the way through so your knife pokes out the other side.
- Rotate the lemon halfway and make another slit through the lemon. Slice the remaining lemons the same way.
- Insert ¼ teaspoon salt into the center of each lemon.
- Thoroughly clean a jar and lid, and be sure your hands are clean before touching it.
- Put lemons into the jar, packing them in as tightly as you can.
- Pour salt into jar, covering to the top. Try to squash salt into gaps between the lemons.
- Pour lemon juice into jar. If there is still space at the top, add sterile (boiled) water until the jay is full.
- Attach lid.
- Store in a dry place for three weeks. About every three days, flip the jar upside down, and three days later, flip it back.
- After three weeks, the lemons are ready. To use, remove from brine and rinse well in cold water. Cut the lemons small and serve on top of salads or savory meals to brighten a dish with a zesty, lemony zing! Refrigerate after opening.
- If using large numbers of lemons, this dish can easily be canned and stored for future use.
You can slightly change the above ingredients and preparation for preserved Lemons to match your needs and taste.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you have any qustion please contact us here.
You can add this page to your favourite by clicking the [CTRL + D] or you can also share it with your friends using the social networking button above.