Bastilla | بسطيلة | Moroccan Recipe
Recipe in Arabic: بسطيلة
Bastilla is a traditional and upscale Moroccan dish. This sophisticated gourmet recipe is made of a filo dough pastry stuffed with pigeon or chickens. It's sweet and salty at the same time, which gives it a special taste and deliciousness. This recipe is also called: Bastila, Pastilla, or Bastiyya. The recipe is very easy to make and should not take a long time to prepare. Simply follow these steps:
- ½ kg of filo dough
- 1 kg and half of chicken
- 1 kg and half of onions
- 250 grams of roasted almonds
- 1 cup of oil
- 1 cup and half of butter
- 10 eggs
- 250 grams of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of saffron
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- 2 tablespoon of chopped parsley & cilantro
- 2 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Put the chicken in a cooking pot, then add onions, salt, ginger, parsley, and cilantro.
- Add oil and half a cup of butter.
- Stir everything on medium fire.
- Add 1 liter of water then cover the cooking pot while stirring from time to time until the chicken is cooked.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces then put them back into the pot for 5 minutes.
- Add 10 eggs gradually to the sauce while stirring continuously and rapidly.
- Ground the almonds and add 100 grams of powdered sugar and cinnamon to them.
- On a circular large plate, which is pre-sprayed with oil, place the filo dough.
- Place a layer of chicken on the whole surface of the filo dough then cover that layer with another filo dough.
- Add a layer of ground almonds and the sugar mixture.
- Add another layer of filo dough on top
- Make sure the radius of the filo dough is larger than the chickens and almonds layers so that you can cover the sides with the excess filo dough. That way the content inside the filo dough will not fall out.
- Rub the surface of the filo dough with butter and place inside an preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden
- After taking it out, sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of the bastilla and decorate it with cinnamon and crushed almonds (see picture above for decoration and shape)
You can slightly change the above ingredients and preparation for Bastilla to match your needs and taste.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you have any qustion please contact us here.
You can add this page to your favourite by clicking the [CTRL + D] or you can also share it with your friends using the social networking button above.