Couscous | كسكس | Moroccan Recipe
Recipe in Arabic: كسكس
Couscous is the most popular Moroccan recipe because it's very delicious to the point that it is cooked every Friday as a tradition. This recipe is also called Couscous with 7 vegetables. This page contains the method of how to cook both the couscous and the broth. This dish is called by some: Seksu, or Kouskous. The recipe is very easy to make and should not take a long time to prepare. Simply follow these steps:
- 1 kg of Couscous
- 1 kg of meat (beef or chicken)
- 1 small cup of oil
- 2 teaspoons of ghee (smen)
- 3 liters of water
- ½ kg of carrots
- 2 onions chopped
- ½ kg of pumpkin or squash
- ½ kg of zucchini
- ½ kg of fava (broad) beans
- ½ kg of cabbage
- ½ kg of tomatoes
- ½ kg of turnip
- 1 bouquet of cilantro & parsley
- 100 grams of chickpeas (soaked)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of saffron
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
Preparation of Couscous
- Put the couscous inside a large plate and start spraying it with 1 liter of salted water. Then rub it with your hands to separate clumps.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and mix the couscous so that the grains don't stick to each other.
- Add the couscous to the couscous steamer (or any steamer) after spraying the steamer with some oil. Add the couscous steamer to the pot and let it steam.
- Once you see very thick steam rising, put the couscous back to the large plate and spray some water on it while rubbing it with your fingers or a fork to separate the clumps. Put the couscous back to the couscous steamer.
- Repeat this step two more times or until it feels tender. Make sure not to over steam it, because that will make it sticky.
Preparation of the Couscous Sauce
- Put the meat, chopped onions, oil, salt, black pepper, saffron, ginger in a cooking pot and stir fry it for 5 min while stirring continuously.
- Add 2 liters of water and let it cook for 30 min.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, carrots, turnips, cabbage, fava beans, pumpkin, zucchini, and the bouquet of coriander. If the broth seems dry add as water as needed.
- Finally place couscous in a presentation plate and add the broth on top and enjoy!
- You can modify the above steps and recipe according to your taste and number of people you will be serving.
You can slightly change the above ingredients and preparation for Couscous to match your needs and taste.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you have any qustion please contact us here.
You can add this page to your favourite by clicking the [CTRL + D] or you can also share it with your friends using the social networking button above.